Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Flashback Friday


I used to be a super nerd. (No wait, I still am...) so back when I was taking lessons in high school when I heard my barn was doing a Halloween ride I obviously jumped on the chance to dress up my favorite school horse, a black Arabian named Shadow, as a Nazgul horse from Lord of the Rings. Special thanks to my dad for digging these pics up.

                       


My mom made me a sweet black cloak and I made the faceplate out of some craft leather which I spray painted silver. I also got a pair of discarded/ cheap used reins (I can't remember where they came from, honestly) which I cut up and then pieced back together with metal rings from the hardware store using a leather tooling kit that I got from a craft store. Not gonna lie, I was pretty proud of my handy work.


Yep, we fit right in with these guys:


Then when I went to college and brought my mini to the school's barn we got to participate in their annual Halloween Barn, a fundraising/ community event where all the horse barn girls would dress their horses up and kids from the community came and trick or treated at each stall.

2007: Zipper as a tiger and her TB friend, Callie, as a Zebra:


  2008: Zipper as a piƱata:


2009: Zipper as a rockstar and me as her  stage manager. Long live the pink hair dye from Walmart...


I miss that event! It was really a lot of fun. I heard they got 700 people there this year, which is ridiculous!

I've never dressed Maggie up for Halloween before, but I'm sure there will come a day...





No comments:

Post a Comment