Monday, November 3, 2014

Quick Recap of the Past Week

I haven't worked Maggie a whole lot since our last show in Mid-October. I intentionally wanted to give her a little break until I got back from Puerto Rico, then when I got back the weather was crappy and rainy that whole week, so I didn't really get a chance to ride her until we went to the MSPCA beach ride. So she got close to two weeks off essentially! Lucky pony.

Last week I rode on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday I figured I'd take advantage of some nice bounces that were already set up in the ring so I threw on the Wintec and we jumped around for a little while. One of my friends at the barn hung out with me on the ground while I rode and convinced me to take Maggie over the pseudo-ditch we had set up. And by 'pseudo ditch' I mean that we put some ground poles on either side of a puddle that ALWAYS forms in this one spot in the ring. Hilarity ensued. I actually have video of a couple passes over the ditch that I wanted to string together before I posted, but for now you can enjoy this still, which [believe it or not] actually makes the jump look way better than it actually went.


Wednesday I had the vet come back out to pull blood for another thyroid panel. This is just a checkup to make sure her hormone levels have gone back to normal since her surgery. We'll have the results back sometime this week. After the vet left, I put the dressage saddle on for a short half hour or so ride and I just worked her pretty lightly and tried to get her to stretch out a little. She was good!

Friday I intended to do dressage again, but let's just say we would have benefited from some pre-ride lunging. I should have known by the way she was trying to walk everywhere while I was bridling her and while I was tightening her girth that she was going to be a crazy face. She was raring to go, so I spent the ride trying to get her to settle down without a lot of success, frankly. At one point she heard a car door slam and took the opportunity to crow-hop. Very exciting. I did finally get her into a mostly relaxed trot after a while and then ended the ride on that.

We were supposed to go to a hunter pace Sunday, but it was postponed because the weather was so bad (even though they said it would run rain or shine. I guess they didn't say rain, shine, or SNOW.)

View from Maggie's stall doorway.

"Ummm....no thanks."
My plan for this week is to ride at least Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday again in addition to Saturday and Sunday hopefully. It all depends on the weather though...


No comments:

Post a Comment