Monday, January 12, 2015

Boston 2024

This past Thursday evening, the U.S. Olympic Committee announced which city it would submit in it's bid to host the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics. Out of four cities to select from - Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Boston - Boston emerged as the winner.


Boston - my city - could potentially host the Olympics in 10 years. Holy. Crap.

The official decision by the International Olympic Committee as to which city will host the 2024 games will not be made until 2017, but still, Holy Crap - the Olympics could be in my backyard! This invokes a simultaneous sense of dread and excitement in me. Am I afraid of how the economics of it all could pan out? Of the potential for it to affect my taxes? The crippling debt that could be left behind? That it could make my commute into the city 100 times worse? You betcha.

But economics and politics aside, let's talk about the really important things: the equestrian events. Do I want the world's best horses and riders to congregate just a few towns away from me, in one of the most prestigious events in the world?

YES. 

You can look forward to a few future posts from me on the subject of the potential Boston 2024 games, including more on where the equestrian events would be held. Right now though, I want to talk about this awesome little promo video:


This promotional video was released last month by the pro-Boston Olympics organization Boston 2024, a non-profit organization designed to advance the bid for 2024 Olympics, and you may have noticed that it features equestrians! Namely, it features Area 1 riders Andy Cook and his Novice horse "Gracious Plenty" and Kerry Bosman and her Prelim horse "Mango Bay." I did a little sleuthing and found a public Facebook album that Lisa Cook, Andy's mother, posted of behind the scenes pictures from the filming. Seriously cool! Cook says that they were on set for a total of 9 hours, all for 35 seconds of in the video.

The video begins with what is presumed to be Paul Revere (Cook) headed to the barn on a foggy morning, suiting up, gathering his horse, and galloping out of the barn with a blue "beacon" in hand. He gallops through the woods before he emerges in daylight into a field where he hands off the beacon to a modern event rider (Bosman) who gallops away and over a jump. The video continues with other athletes carrying the beacon as they train for their respective sports around the city.

The equestrian portion of the video was filmed at Black Brook Farm in Carlise, MA, a privately owned farm that breeds Connemaras. Despite being erected in 1861 - nearly 100 years after Paul Revere's infamous Midnight Ride - it serves as a really charming backdrop. I've actually ridden on the trails in Great Brook State Farm just next door! I'm sure my sister the professional colonial lady (she works for the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum) can find many more historical inaccuracies than I can, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have picked up on the fuzzy girth, flex stirrups, elevator bit, and figure eight noseband ;)

Even so, I really like the promo video and am interested to see how things move forward as the Olympic bid gets prepared. How cool would it have been to be involved in this video shoot?!    

10 comments:

  1. I'm not normally a big Olympics fan but okay, that video is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was definitely the best of the bunch of all four US cities competing for the bid...but I may be a little biased!

      Delete
  2. That would be amazing to have the Olympics in your own backyard!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would be incredible to have the Olympics here! I imagine it would be an experience that not many would ever get. But boy, are the economics of the whole thing scary :(

      Delete
  3. So hope Boston gets it! If they do, I'm totally coming for the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger meet up at the Olympics!!! In ten years...when none of us are probably blogging anymore lol

      Delete
  4. I love the Olympics!! That would be so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I'd definitely want to go see more events besides the equestrian ones, though the equestrian events would definitely be the priority!

      Delete
  5. I love the Olympics and would be ECSTATIC if they came to Boston. Being in RI I'd hopefully be close enough to reap benefits but not too close that it became a huge inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that would be so cool to have the olympics so close - i'd def come watch!!

    ReplyDelete