Monday, January 5, 2015

What Maggie Got For Christmas

The shits. Maggie got the shits for Christmas.

And this was my reaction to the shits.
It started a little before Christmas actually, and I initially thought it was because I hadn't dumped and scrubbed her water trough in a while (as in a couple weeks actually). Typically I dump and scrub the trough once a week. When I fill it up again I only fill it around 3/4 full, so the water gets relatively low by the time I need to dump it following weekend. However, it had been raining practically consistently for about two weeks at that point so her trough had stayed full, and hey, I'm not one to waste water.


Thanks for filling the trough, Mother Nature!

I'm afraid I may have let it go a little too long though, because just before Christmas Maggie started having some seriously loose manure. Like cow pie consistency. And it was making quite the mess of her hocks and tail. Other than the mess, she was fine.

I had already started scrubbing her left hock here.

So on a relatively warm December day (I think it was about 35 degrees out) I broke out the whitening shampoo, a scrubby brush, Cowboy Magic detangler, and an electric kettle to warm up the water. I scrubbed off the mess to the best of my abilities, all the while telling Maggie, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"  (both for the fact that I had to give her a partial bath in the cold winter and because it was probably my fault she had the shits in the fist place.) I even wrapped her tail up to keep it clean.



I also gave her a dose of dewormer, just in case that was the issue, and I got some Probios treats (didn't know they came in treat form until now!) She's already on KERx RiteTrac daily as of last summer, which should be keeping a good acid/base balance in her GI tract. I figured I'd add in the Probios for now in case there was something in the water that had disrupted her gut flora, plus the dewormer would disrupt it anyway.

Probios treats, baby wipes, Quest dewormer, and a new salt block - Merry Christmas!

Her stool consistency got better for a while, but the problem isn't totally gone. She'll have nice normal looking manure one day and then total plops the next. Plus I need to clean her hocks again. 

Hi?
Has anyone else dealt with something like this? She's had no changes in her diet lately (other than the addition of the Probios as of late) and has never had this problem before. I've kept up on cleaning her water trough ever since the problem started, so I would have though whatever was in her system would be out by now. And as I mentioned, she's totally fine otherwise!

13 comments:

  1. No suggestions on what the culprit could be, but that first sentence... thank you for the laugh on this Monday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's not what I was expecting LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never underestimate the element of surprise! ;)

      Delete
  3. That first picture is priceless! Sorry you're dealing with this though. I don't have any advice for you unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it's not as bad as it was when that picture was taken. More of just an annoyance now, since it doesn't actually seem to be bothering her which is good!

      Delete
  4. I laughed out loud! A little humor on a Monday is good! :) Hope it clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Chirstmas to you? What a thoughtful, original gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww Maggie, ew!! sorry to here she had such a crappy (har har) holiday... i don't have any great insights or anything like that, but hope she gets back to regular soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are hilarious! But I'm sorry you have to deal with this issue! I haven't had this problem, but my trainer has and she started her horse on a probiotic supplement. It sounds like you're doing the right thing so far. Does Maggie have access to a stall or enclosure during the night? I only ask because my horse is bad at drinking water when he's turned out during the day but empties his buckets at night. Maybe if you try giving her some water in her turnout or putting her in the stall at night for a few days, she'll drink more water which will definitely help. I've heard nothing but great things about a product called "Horse Quencher". Apparently it works better than electrolytes and salt to make your horse drink water. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sucks!! My roomie's gray mare had persistent loose stool and mild diarrhea for a while when she first bought her. We tried lots of things -- biosponge, Forco (a digestive aid/probiotic much like the one you have), and switching her to all grass or all alfalfa. All alfalfa worked beautifully for a long time, but now that the weather's changed and some green grass is in the pastures, her poop is loose again. So now we're trying a course of omeprazole WITHOUT any of the former fixes. My other friend's horse has had a similar issue, and the all-alfalfa fixed him up really well too, until the green grass came in! He does really well on Forco (aforementioned probios) and SmartGut. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete