Monday, February 2, 2015

Wellington Eventing

So...who watched the live stream over the weekend?


If you're an eventer (or at least one who follows various horsey social media profiles) you probably live under a rock if you didn't hear about the first-ever $50,000 Wellington Eventing Showcase being held. Yes, in Wellington, Florida, where all the Hunter/Jumpers and Dressagers migrate to every winter. Weird, right? But kind of awesome too.

Marilyn Little and RF Scandalous. Photo by Kasey Mueller, Eventing Nation.
I've got to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the live stream from Chronicle of the Horse. Even from the other end of the country, I could tell how pumped up all the competitors were to be there.

Michael Pollard and Cyrano. Photo by Jenni Autry.
Michael Pollard and Cyrano. Photo by Jenni Autry, Eventing Nation.

This competition, however, was a far cry from a traditional 3-day event. First off, it was packed into two days; dressage being held on Friday and then stadium jumping taking place just several hours before XC on Saturday. It almost reminded me of the little 1-day horse trials that we see at the lower levels! (But with much bigger jumps and a whole 50k in prize money...so still completely different.) For all those old-school eventers out there lamenting the loss of the long-format though, I bet this kind of event seems just blasphemous. A 2,000 meter XC course? Heresy.

Boyd Martin and Trading Aces celebrate!. Photo by Jenni Autry.
Boyd Martin and Trading Aces, winners of the $50,000 Wellington Eventing Showcase.
Photo by Jenni Autry, Eventing Nation.

But at the same time, think of the potential good that this kind of event could do for the sport. It's attracting attention to the sport of eventing in an already horse-centric area; an area where there's money to be invested and potential sponsorship to be had. From what I hear, the future of the sport could really use some stability and security, and the Wellington Eventing Showcase could really do the trick.

What do you think about this kind of event format, readers? Do you think it will help or hinder the future of the sport?

9 comments:

  1. I watched part of the dressage on Friday and then part of the showjumping on Saturday, but bmy internet wasn't working well enough for the full live stream :( I loved what I got to see though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a bummer! Hopefully some video of the XC goes up on COTH at some point

      Delete
  2. I personally don't understand why so many eventers are griping about this. I'm a h/j princess though so my opinion doesn't count ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why they're griping...but I also understand that sometimes sports need to adapt and change. And frankly I think this showcase was pretty cool! Plus I'm jealous of what you h/j'ers got going on down there in welly ;)

      Delete
  3. I didnt watch any of it and don't know much about it, but cramming that much competition into 2 days seems a little tough for the level. At the lower levels its not a huge deal since the jumps and effort those horse puts out is far less than the horses at the higher levels.
    That being said, having an event in Wellington I think is a neat idea. I also really love that Boyd photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Boyd...such a ham!

      Good point...i wonder why dressage and stadium couldn't be on the same day? I guess that might be a little weird for the horses, to have to go from fancy prancing to jumping so quickly? Maybe they decided that stadium and XC was ok on the same day because of the abbreviated XC course?

      Delete
  4. nice recap!! i sadly didn't have an opportunity to tune in, but as far as showcases go it seems to have been a good one. i'm too new to the sport to have much opinion on the 'implications' tho... but it seems cool to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was a cool event to watch, especially for those of us who don't watch or follow the sport super closely most of them time... like myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. For sure I watched it! I think it is exciting to watch a new kind of event and will bring more attention to the sport as intended. And Boyd was awesome as usual; I was rooting for him the whole time.

    ReplyDelete