Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday Feedback: Location, Location, Location

While reading all the posts from Fly On Over's Day in the Life blog hop (which I completely forgot to add my link to) and writing about my own day in the life, I got to thinking about commutes. Not just about commutes to work, but commutes to the barn as well.

Some folks live right near their job, but maybe they have to trek a little farther to see their pony. Some of us live closer to our horse, or even keep our horse at home, but have a long commute into work. I think I have yet to meet someone who has the best of both worlds - a short commute to both work AND the barn! This work/life/horse balance is the curse of the adult amateur, but I think it is also part of what defines us.

So I'm curious, Which do you prefer: a shorter commute to work or a shorter commute to the barn?

Living the life. Wish I could do this every day!

As for me, I prefer the short commute to the barn. That's what I have now; it's 2.6 miles away from my house and takes around 6 minutes driving. I'd rather have my trips to the barn be a stress-free and effortless as possible. To get to or from work, it's nearly a two hour process for me so it's nice to be able to get off the commuter train in the afternoon, go to the barn to unwind, and then simply have a very short journey home to my apartment. Plus on the weekend it's very nice not to have to waste precious time trekking to and fro!

So, readers, give me some feedback! Which commute to you prefer be shorter: the one to work or the one to the barn? Are you lucky enough to live close to both? Or are you unlucky enough to have a trek to each one?

11 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite, I 100% prefer living close to work, since I have to be there at 8am 5 days a week. No such restriction on the barn. My commute to work is 3 miles/10 minutes, so I can leave my house at 7:45 and be there by 8, and also come home at lunch to let the dogs out. The barn is 45 minutes away. If those two were reversed, I would have a very different lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see how that works for you! I admit there's a lot of times I wish I could basically roll or of bed and be at work that quick. I think another thing that comes in to play is that I do have a lot of restriction to beig at the barn a lot of evenings and every weekend with the co-op situation I have. I might change my preference if had maggie on full board!

      Delete
  2. I am probably the 1% of people living the best of both worlds right now... and it will probably never happen again after this year so I'm reveling in it now. I work 1 mile from my house and the barn is 1 mile from work, work being right in the middle. I don't think it could get any better unless my horse was at my house and I worked from home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty awesome! Lucky you!

      Delete
  3. "my horse was at my house and I worked from home!"

    Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i prefer living in the city in a very walk-able and vibrant neighborhood. i'm lucky that my work commute is short (~5 min!!), but i'd still live in the same neighborhood even if work were farther away.

    same goes for the barn. generally i'm pretty happy if the barn commute is 20-30 min. 45 is doable but kinda stretching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Closer to the barn, hands down! I've lived an hour away from the barn and 10 minutes from work. It's so much harder for me to work up the motivation to get there when it's so far away. Right now I live pretty close to both - and hopefully will be moving closer to the barn but further away from work very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would prefer a shorter commute to the barn! Right now I'm at 20-45 minutes to work and 45 minutes to the barn... each way. Would much rather live close to the barn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have the best of both worlds - 8 minutes to the barn, 12 minutes to work. I commuted a long distance before and I absolutely hated it. I've since turned down good jobs due to commute. I'd rather live close to work than the barn since I have to go to work 5 days a week, and the barn is technically optional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pretty awesome commute to work (15 min) and a moderate commute to the barn (30 min). I love having a short commute to work - i can sleep in as long as possible.

    The longer commute to the barn is not so bad. It is worth the longer drive to be at a barn that has everything I am looking for.

    ReplyDelete