Friday, March 27, 2015

It's Melting!

The snow! It's melting! I thought it would NEVER leave! Though it's certainly not all gone yet, there has been a vast improvement over the last two weeks or so. Here's a pictorial update/comparison:

Feb 16th
March 25th

The paddocks are an absolute mess right now, but that's to be expected - a funny thing happens when a horse poops on the packed down snow and then it drops below freezing overnight...it freezes. Even a daily raking doesn't make it look nice, but we still try our best and help it thaw layer by poopy layer.

Feb 10th
March 25th
The snowbanks have receded enough now that we can assess the fence carnage. We knew that all the electric tape would be in terrible shape, but I didn't expect the couple broken rails  down at the end of Maggie's paddock. I made a quick temporary fix by replacing them with the bottom rails from part of the fence lining the grass paddock... 

Feb 10th
March 25th
Fixed it...?
What we really need is for it to be consistently above freezing so we can keep the melting going, but the temperature has been very spotty. We had a couple excellent days of rain the other weekend which was fine by me because it really kicked off washing all the snow away. Aside from that though it's only been consistently in the mid 30's, so technically above freezing, yes, but not quite enough to really wash it away. We'll get there soon...maybe... I'm doubting I'll be able to get out to XC school at all before June, I expect the footing to be in really sorry shape for quite a while.

Found the mounting block!
I think this winter gave me a little PTSD because I'm getting anxious looking at these 'before' photos.

4 comments:

  1. what a relief that it IS melting... albeit slowly. fingers crossed that it all goes away soon!! and for what it's worth, the mud around here has been drying out a LOT faster than i anticipated - so hopefully once all the snow is gone maybe the footing won't be terrible for as long as you think? good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news that the mud is drying quicker than you thought! I'll try and hold out hope that that will happen here as well :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, just wow. I can't imagine dealing with all the melt either! Yucky!

    ReplyDelete