Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday Feedback: This, That, or Both? Help Me Decide!

I don't think I've made it a secret that I looooove planning out what shows I want to go to. It's just how I work...always planning ahead, scheming and dreaming. However, I've hit a snafu. Two events that I want to do are on the same weekend and they're very different, so now I need your help! Which one should I go to? Or should I go to BOTH?

What to do?
Here are the options:

1. Ledyard Farm Spring Fling 2-Phase - Saturday, May 16th

This sounds like a fun low-key 2-phase to enter before we head to the Groton House Farm 2-phase later in May. I think there are several neat things about this show: first, I think it would ben really neat to show at the historic Ledyard Farm! If you're a fan of the movie International Velvet, then Ledyard might ring a bell; they filmed some scenes there in the 70's. What I also find interesting about this 2-phase is that the jumping will be a mix of stadium jumps and XC jumps. I would plan to enter the elementary division, which is Intro Test B for Dressage and 18"-2' for jumping (there's nothing between that and 2'7" for BN, which is a little much for us at the moment.)

Yay tiny stadium jumps!

2. Myopia Spring Hunter Pace - Sunday, May 17th

I've never done a hunter pace before, but I have been really wanting to! One of my good barn friends has gotten into them and been on a few now so we would do this local one together as a team. It's a 6 mile course and we would do the non-jumping division because my pal isn't a jumper. Even in the non-jumping division though, all the jumps are optional so I could school over the little ones of my choosing. Not only would I get to go riding on trails that I don't normally have access too, but I would essentially get to do a little XC school and conditioning as well - and maybe even get a ribbon for it!
Trail riding for ribbons? Yes, please.
3. Both???
At $75 for the 2-phase and $50 for the hunter pace doing both might make my bank account a little sad, but given that these two events are on separate days it would be possible! Aside from the entry fees, my main concern is if it would be too much for Maggie. My first thought was no way could I ask her to go to shows two days in a row. But then I gave it a little more thought...and I figure that doing these two shows back-to-back would essentially be like doing a 2-day event with dressage and stadium on one day and XC on the other. Both these events are actually in the same town (which is like 15 minutes away) so distance isn't really an issue.

So what do you all think? Could Maggie handle both or might it sour her? If I pick one, which one do I pick? Let me know what you think in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Do both. I don't think it's that much work. And they both sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of how cheap those both are. I'd do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both just schooling/fun shows. The $75 is pretty typical for a 2-phase around here. I'm sure I'll be sticker shocked when I actually get to do a recognized event!

      Delete
  3. do both!!! i did a little schooling show on a saturday followed by a sunday HT and it worked out just fine for the horse - esp as we're working to really solidify that the lower levels are 'easy' for us before moving up to BN

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do both, she needs to be in super good shape. Hunter paces are usually pretty long and quazi endurance style riding. That being said, they are some of the most fun I've ever had on horseback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's probably in good enough shape to do both, particularly the 2-phase would be at such a low level that it it's not very physically demanding. I'm more worried about her being mentally taxed and trying to load her on the trailer for day 2 and being like, "WTF, mom we just did this!"

      About the hunter pace, my friend and I keep telling each other "well, we can do it just for fun, we don't have to really go for the time." But I know that at least for me I'm totally just telling myself that - I always want to be competitive! 6 miles is definitely a decent ride for this time of year though...we've been working very hard in lessons, but haven't actually hit the trails yet this season!

      Delete
  5. I'd enter both. I don't think she'd be that tired after just a two-phase, and the hunt pace might be a nice second chance if something funky goes on at Ledyard. They might actually be over some of the same land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! and it would be land that I don't get the chance to ride on often, so that's always fun to have that opportunity.

      Delete