Thursday, April 23, 2015

Jog Outfits - "Yay" or "Neigh"?

IT'S ROLEX TIME!!!

If you're a stateside eventer like me, you know this is the most exciting weekend of the year for our sport. I don't have to tell you that. I also probably don't have to tell you that I'll be sneaking peeks of the live streaming dressage on Thursday and Friday as often as I can while at work, and I plan to watch the cross country and stadium jumping in their entirety on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Thanks USEF Network! Live stream is such a beautiful thing...

Anyway, the official jogs happened yesterday afternoon. For anyone unfamiliar, the "jog" (aka jog-up, trot-up, or horse inspection) precedes the beginning of a 3-day (CCI) event and it is when a group of veterinarians (called a ground jury) inspects each horse entered into the competition to essentially check that it is sound enough to compete.

During the jog, riders have a rare opportunity to dress like normal people - as in they don't have to wear helmets, breeches, and coats that make everyone look like Victorian gentleman. Many of the female competitors even wear dresses. Whoa.

I think you can look at jog outfits in two ways:

1. A rare chance in equestrian sports to show a little personality and flair - the horse is groomed to impress and the rider is dressed to impress!

2. Something that causes unnecessary hubbub and detracts from the real reason behind the jog - inspecting the horse!

Personally, I can see the merits of both arguments. Should I ever jog a horse in a 3-day competition (unlikely, but I guess you never know...) I'd certainly want to show a little personality with my outfit, but at the same time I would want to be practical (so you wouldn't find me in stilettos and a mini-skirt, though those that know me would know you'd be really unlikely to find me wearing either of those things EVER.) Let's not forget that during a jog, one must actually jog. Next to a horse. That can crush your toes.


So what side are you on? Do you say "Yay! Pretty clothes! Fashion!" and check out all the best/worst dressed lists? Or do say "Neigh! Focus on the fit and shiny horses, not the fashion!"

10 comments:

  1. i honestly like checking out the outfits - but think the practicality should outweigh straight up fashion sense (but that's kinda my mentality on life in general).

    these riders may be dressed for more than just the jog tho - with sponsorships and endorsements and social media being what they are, riders are practically 'brands' unto themselves now and it's in their best interest to always be presentable and interview/photo-ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my general mentality as well! Excellent points about the brands and social media!

      Delete
  2. I'm on the 'yay pretty!' side. I don't like it when someone shows up to the jog looking like they just rolled out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably cringe at the pics of Zara Phillips then!

      Delete
  3. I like the jog outfits! I feel like it lets the riders show a little personality and humanizes them. I think it should be form AND function though - I like tasteful and classy. You should be able to, ya know, actually JOG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great. Adds a little fashion pizzazz to the show. Dressing nice and having a well turned out horse shows respect to the ground jury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Similar idea as looking put together for a lesson and showing respect for your trainer.

      Delete
  5. I think it's fun!! There is something to say about seeing how a rider acts on the ground, and I think it's representative of their personalities as a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fashion of the Rolex jog! It's fun and lighthearted, and I enjoy reading about horses... but not about horses -- know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete