Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday Feedback: Long Mane vs Short Mane

I have been contemplating whether or not to cut Maggie's mane short. Mainly (pun intended), I think that the shorter mane might be easier to care for and stay put in braids better (and if I'm being completely honest I think it looks more "eventery" too).

The reason I haven't done it yet is because I feel like button braids are more time consuming to do than a running braid. At least that is what I have been telling myself. Then when it came time to braid her mane for this past weekend's show I did a terrible job of it and it looked awful.
Pardon my blindingly white horse

And it looked even more awful by the end of the day:
And yes, I gelled/ quickbraided it when I put it up.
(Also, obligatory post-braid curly hair pic:)
She looks like a poodle.
I am attributing this weekend's abysmal braiding partially to it being the first show of the season and I'm not warmed up yet. I CAN do a better running braid - see header above.

However, I do think button braids in a short mane would stay put better throughout the day than the running braids. So I want to know: long mane or short mane for Maggie? Anyone who has experience with both have a preference for one or the other? Why?

And if it helps, I actually do know what Maggie looks like with a short mane. When she first came to the MSPCA she was a scraggly mess so they cut it off. Here she is after they cleaned her all up and she was almost ready to pop a baby out:

Photo courtesy of MSPCA Nevin's Farm
Cute, no?

18 comments:

  1. Short mane for sure! They're neater, hold the braids for a much longer time (so long as they're done well), and far easier to care for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the photo from Nevin's farm of you two is so beautiful! I love it.

    I say go short. If you don't like it, you can always grow it back out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Button braids can be a 15 minute thing with some practice. Personally, falling down braids of any kind make me nuts, so that running braid gets me a little twitchy. At least if a button falls out its a 10 second fix to put it back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point! With a falling out running braid, you really have to redo the WHOLE THING.

      Delete
  4. Keep it long but do the lusitano type braid. It is neat, stylish and quick. Similar to a running braid but tight and against the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her multicolored mane in general, but I do think she looks super cute with her short mane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she'd look super cute in a pulled mane and button braids! I'm sorely tempted to do the same to my (Arabian) mare because her BEAST mane has a life and mind of it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Short! You won't need to braid it at all for schooling shows and it always looks tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Short! I think it always looks so sporty and classy, and it's also way easier to get away with a tidy short mane with no braids than it is just leaving a long mane down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like long manes. You can do the the lusitano braids if the running braid isn't looking good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as you know i'm dealing with the same conundrum... except a short mane is not an option for my lease horse...

    i'm hoping to perfect the running braid and found the trick to avoiding that 'waviness' is to vary the size of the segments you pull into the braid. start with small pieces for a few passes, then quickly start using bigger pieces as you get to the thicker part of the mane (maybe 2-4inches in to the braid). then towards the withers as the mane thins you'll have to start using smaller pieces again... but i find that doing it this way helps keep the braid close against her crest. still not enough to keep her from shaking it out tho... will try some stuff out soon hopefully and let you know what i find out.

    otherwise - if you opt to chop good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually one of the things i want to try are scallop braids with a button... but am kinda worried that it's gonna look like serious sh*t in my mare's thin, uneven mane.... we'll see!
      tutorial here: http://thedappledbay.blogspot.com/2012/07/tutorial-scalloped-button-braids.html

      Delete
    2. Oh, I actually saw that on a horse at the show we went to, but I had no idea that's what it was! It looked pretty good and seemed to stay in very well for the whole show!

      Delete
  11. I think Maggie looks adorable with a short mane!! And bonus: it shows off her neck more!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! That might be especially nice now that there's actually some neck muscle being developed too!

      Delete
  12. This is probably a pretty biased opinion, but I like short manes. However, in my world of hunter/jumpers, long manes are like sacrilege sooo yeah, haha. Like I said, I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost never say this, but: short mane!

    ReplyDelete