Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Horse-Poor, House-Poor, and Truck-Poor

I have been and always will be horse-poor. It's just a fact of life for me which I accept and embrace. Within the past two months, however, we can now add house-poor and truck-poor to that list.


My husband I had been talking about buying a house for nearly a year and we decided to get more serious with our search back in June. We crunched the numbers, figured out what we could afford, and soon enough we had enlisted the help of a lender and a realtor. 

Once we started actually looking at houses the process happened so fast. The second house we looked at was the one we wanted and not even eight hours after we had decided to make an offer did the sellers decide to accept our offer. 

The next month was full of home inspections and paperwork before we closed on the house. Within this timeframe was the GHF Summer Classic, which I just recapped, though I didn't mention the snafu we hit in trying to get to the event...

The day before the event Dan was patching a leak in the cap of my truck (because it was supposed to pour rain the next day - which it did). He decided to check the tires too while he was at it and happened to look past the rear left tire and spot a crack in the frame of my truck. And it was no little crack either...it was completely through the entire frame. 

Separated. 

Displaced. 

Thank God Dan spotted it when he did, because I do not want to think about what could have happened the next day if I had tried to haul Maggie to the show with this truck. Thanks to the generosity of a good friend, I was able to borrow her truck so that I could still get to the event the next day.


Yes, it goes all the way through the beam.
So...no more trailering for my poor old trucky...

With a crack in the frame, my old 2000 GMC Sierra had for sure reached the end of its days. I was hoping to milk another year or two out of it, but alas, it was not to be. And now after having an offer on a house accepted we were in a bit of a situation...

Poor sad truck :(
When you buy a house they tell you not to make any major purchases like furniture, appliances...cars.... It will ruin your credit and then your financing will be messed up. So we couldn't get a new truck until after we closed on the house at the end of July, but I had to have a new one before the end of September when my state inspection sticker expires because goodness known it wasn't going to pass inspection now.

Fortunately everything with the house went very smoothly and we closed as planned. We're homeowners now and we've been in our new place for a little over a month!


Homeowner selfie!
Since we began the house buying process and then since my truck cracked, I'm afraid things haven't been super exciting with Maggie. We only managed to get in one lesson in the past two months and no shows since the GHF Summer Classic. After closing on the house she got a solid two weeks off while Dan and I moved, painted, unpacked, and organized. Then when the first chance I had to ride after getting settled in the house was when she had her weird little abscess episode, so that was another week off.

Also after settling down in the house I was able to turn my attention toward truck shopping and I'm happy to report that I got a new truck last week! At the recommendation of one of my husband's coworkers we ended up hiring a personal auto shopper. Yeah, I had never heard of such a thing either, but think realtor for your car. It actually worked out really well for us and I'd highly recommend it, so if anyone out there in Boston or the North Shore is looking to buy a car feel free to get in touch and I'll hook you up with the lady I worked with - I'd highly recommend her. 

I said a tearful goodbye (literally tearful, I'm a horrible sap) to my old 2000 GMC Sierra with my sparkly pony sticker and drove home a 2010 Dodge Ram. 



Now I just have to get a hitch put on it and we'll be back in business! In fact, I need to get that done before September 20th because I sent in my entry for the Groton House Farm Fall Classic which will take place that day. It would be great if I could get out for an XC school before that too...

With the exception of another hunter pace at the beginning of November, this will likely be the last show of the season or me. Now that I have a mortgage and car payments again the budget is tighter which unfortunately means fewer shows, lessons, and frivolous buying of miscellaneous other horse stuff. 

Lame. 

Except for the fact that I have a house now. It's pretty awesome and most definitely not lame.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, crazy summer! I know how it is - I too did the buying a house/buying a truck dance with financing this summer. Enjoy the Ram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did! Takes quite a bit of time/ mental effort doesn't it?? Oi.

      Delete
  2. So glad no one was hurt! And congrats on new house and truck (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going through the house buying process right now, and while my truck is good to go, we're still verrrrryyyy slowlllyyy getting my car and horse trailer registered, inspected, and in good repair. Ponies should just be free while we deal with adult things, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the house! That's so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the house and the truck! That is so exciting. Two major life purchases. Which Hunter Pace are you doing this fall? I'll be doing a few myself - might see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Myopia Hunter Pace on November 1st in Hamilton. If you're up for a haul to the north shore come be on my team! (and by team I mean just come ride with me and one of my barn pals lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might do that! Blogger meetup! :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the new house and the new truck!!! Those are both super exciting new developments, even if they mean a temporarily lighter riding schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much excitement! My husband and I just bought our first house too and it's been AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete